Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Creative Designer
Job Number: BCH-T-9106-221102E1
Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Powered by water… and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We’re proud to be ranked as one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
* Plans, coordinates, designs, edits and produces a wide range of internal and external BC Hydro advertising, promotional material and publications (such as brochures, pamphlets, newsletters, posters, technical manuals, BC Hydro Annual Report, original icons, cards, overhead slides, banners, digital assets, videos, signage, etc.) to meet client’s and BC Hydro’s brand standard requirements in required time frame.
* Interprets or provides sketches, photos, text, written instructions, etc. to conceptualize projects; in coordination with Creative Production Coordinator evaluates work request and creative brief. If required, meets with client and/or Creative Services Manager to discuss project specifications to determine objectives, size, style, space limitations, desired presentation quality, color, texture, paper stock, and provides specs to client. Follows BC Hydro’s brand standards and advises if project does not meet standards.
* Determines the appropriate graphic software application and methods to be used in the design of specific projects.
* Uses a variety of professional graphic design software with advanced features to create original artwork, icons, and line drawings and to refine and edit photographic files to final reproduction stage.
* Uses advanced skills and knowledge of photo editing software (such as Photoshop) to design and manipulate artwork to achieve desired results.
* Uses advanced skills and knowledge of vector graphics editing software (such as Illustrator) to design, create and manipulate original artwork.
* Uses advanced skills and knowledge of publishing and typesetting software (such as InDesign) to layout complex projects.
* Liaises with clients at onset of project to determine feasibility, impact, audience. Reviews creative brief. During the proofing process, manages the project with the client to incorporate any revisions or additions and to incorporate various ideas from multiple contributors; solicits feedback from co-workers for troubleshooting and creative input, provides peer coaching/critique to improve operational excellence.
* Prepares detailed production instructions and printing specifications for external vendors, printers, magazines and newspapers. Reviews online or physical colour proofs from external vendors or printer if required.
* Provides support to clients by manipulating a variety of artwork, photographs, negatives, slides, etc.as needed. Converts, transfers, extracts and compresses digital files and photographs for PC, Macintosh and web platforms.
* Coordinates with Creative Services Manager to manage deadlines within operational guidelines to meet client’s requirements.
* Maintains digital files of illustrations, previous publications, and artwork. Provides paper stock and production samples upon request.
* Controls and maintains image and digital file library.
* Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties that do not affect the rating of the job.
* Degree or diploma in Graphic Design, Digital Design or a related field (such as Fine Arts, Marketing or Communications with a focus on design); plus four (4) years of recent experience within the last five (5) years in a graphic design or digital design job involved in graphics, layout and web publishing where experience using Adobe Creative Suite on Macintosh workstations in a work server environment has been gained;
* Post-secondary courses in graphic/digital design with courses in graphic software within the last two (2) years; plus six (6) years of recent experience within the last five (5) years in a graphic design or digital design job in the graphic/digital design industry or advertising agency.
* Experience demonstrable through a portfolio of work.
* All the skills, knowledge and abilities of the Creative Production Coordinator job.
* Ability to plan, design, layout and produce a wide range of artwork.
* Knowledge of industry standard pre-press and print production techniques.
* Ability to interpret clients’ project objectives and explain design concepts to clients.
* Ability to create original artwork using advanced graphic software (such as Adobe Creative Suite).
* Ability to estimate lead times and production requirements to determine timeline milestones for graphics and artwork assignments.
* Ability to coordinate, monitor and ensure projects and assignments meet required deadlines.
* Excellent understanding and knowledge of BC Hydro corporate graphics, digital and brand standards.
* Well-developed oral and interpersonal communication skills.
* Well-developed ability to use Macintosh workstations in a work server environment.
This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE). http://moveuptogether.ca
* This is a Group 9A MOU#85 Full-Time Temporary (FTT) MoveUP opportunity for approximately 18 months on the team headquartered at Dunsmuir in Vancouver.
* This role provides expert graphic design and creative services to clients throughout BC Hydro. Plans, develops concepts and produces creative artwork for BC Hydro internal and external projects, campaigns publications. Designs and produces digital marketing materials for paid and organic channels.
* Experience in creating HTML5 ads and video editing is considered an asset.
* A skills test will be required as part of the selection process.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by November 18, 2022.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We’re always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It’s an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com .
BC Hydro has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that requires employees to have a full series of COVID-19 vaccine and provide proof of vaccination on request. This Policy is currently suspended but may resume at BC Hydro’s discretion. While the Policy is suspended, all new employees are required to disclose their vaccination status to BC Hydro.
Flexible work model role definitions
Our four role types identify the degree of flexibility an employee could have to work from home based on the type of work they do. The flexibility for an individual job is up to the manager for each position and the operational requirements. Employees also have the right to work full-time from the office if they prefer. All of our roles require at least some in-person time.
IBEW/Field – No option to work from home
Resident – Works primarily (4+ days per week) in the office.
Hybrid – May be able to work from home up to 3 days per week.
Remote – Works from home 4+ days per week