We’re searching for a digitally savvy manager, graphic design who has experience leading a team of senior and junior designers. This position requires in-person work with the option for a hybrid arrangement and is based in Kelowna at UBC’s Okanagan campus.
Reports to the Associate Director, Communications and Marketing, University Relations. This position leads a team of designers, serving the design needs for UBC Okanagan. The position works closely with the Senior Manager, Web and Communications; Digital Marketing Manager and requires direct interactions with senior leaders, campus communicators, faculty and staff to provide design expertise.
- Provides creative direction and strategic advice on brand, marketing and visual communications;
- Implements and evaluates processes and procedures, proposes strategies to improve services and monitors key metrics via the use of reports for continual service improvement;
- Responsible for the design of campus standardized templates including web and digital marketing and execution of graphic elements of the templates in collaboration with the Communications and Marketing team;
- Provides expert advice on best practices, emerging design trends and opportunities;
- Responsible for leading the University Relations design team.
- Translates an integrated visual identity system for the campus into user-friendly tools and experiences that support adoption of the UBC brand working closely with graphic designers, communications and marketing strategists, web developers, and UBC Okanagan staff;
- Oversees UBC Okanagan photo and image databases, including a systemized process for archiving, and responding to requests from the UBC community;
- Consults and provides creative direction with external consultants, partners and suppliers on appropriate use of UBC visual identity and brand guidelines;
- Develops and delivers presentations, workshops, training and conducts brand reviews;
- Oversees the development of print and online user guidelines.
- Conceptualizes and actively creates visual components and graphic design of strategic communications programs to meet UBC Okanagan’s strategic objectives;
- Participates in planning, organizing and providing design direction for high-profile, campus-wide projects and initiatives.
- Provides creative direction and collaboration on integrated campaigns with digital advertising, new media and social media components.
- Provides leadership in user experience (UX) including accessibility issues;
- Performs quality control checks throughout the design process from conceptual development to proof checking to file archival;
- Manipulates digital images, takes photographs, creates vector and bitmapped illustrations as needed for web and print communications materials;
- Stays current with post-secondary sector communications design trends and makes relevant recommendations.
- Interacts directly with clients to interpret and execute the needs of the client department/school/faculty in coordination with the communications and marketing strategists and to clarify subject material and design objectives;
- Prepares work-back plans based on project needs and available resources;
- Performs other related duties as required.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
This position must exercise tact and diplomacy when dealing with staff and faculty. They must make decisions on how best to manage projects given short timeframes, relative strategic importance of projects, ease of substituting one project for another given staffing available, and the impact of failing to meet deadlines. The consequence of error in this area could be very serious for the University as it concerns the public image and profile of UBC Okanagan on a provincial, national and international level.
Providing consistent information provides clarity, reduces redundancy, and offers significant cost savings and improvements in efficiency if done well.
Works independently within defined guidelines and objectives. Reports directly to the Associate Director, Communications and Marketing.
Directly manages a team of designers. Allocates work, reviews performance, trains, coaches, and resolves human resource problems. Establishes and manages the relationships with design consultants and external communications service providers.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline.
- A minimum of six (6) years of experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated industry experience with proven strategic results at a senior design level Agency and corporate experience with large, multi-stakeholder organizations is preferred.
- Strong experience and a proven record in visual identity management and marketing and brand management in a variety of media, including the web, is mandatory.
- Effective oral and written communication, multi-tasking and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills in project and time management.
- Ability to work both independently and with a team environment and to work effectively under the pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to think and plan strategically.
- Demonstrated communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong design, marketing and creative skills adapted to a variety of media.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn and continually upgrade skills.
- In-depth knowledge and appreciation for the role of design and strategic communications in higher education.
- In-depth knowledge about the university and its policies, goals, issues and mission is a definite asset.
- Ability to work effectively with various levels of university personnel including senior administration.
- Ability to negotiate with the university’s contractors, partners and suppliers and provide strategic direction in choosing and working with agencies of record.
- Computer experience required with proven knowledge of MacIntosh and PC based technology for illustration and graphics and photo manipulation with design and web publishing software.
- Word and PowerPoint graphics design experience.
- Strong copy writing, editing and proof-reading skills is an asset.
Please apply for the Manager, Graphic Design position using UBC’s Career and Job postings website.