The $1,000 Ray Hrynkow scholarship, supported by CDP and Fellow, Casey Hrynkow and other donors, is awarded annually to a student entering the third or fourth year of an undergraduate design communications program in Canada.
“Ray envisioned the scholarship supporting a candidate showing great promise as a ‘next generation designer’ — one who demonstrates an understanding of design as applied research, employing ethnography, sociology and anthropology and using these tools to uncover truly effective and resonant design.” These are the designers practicing design for social innovation and sustainability, using their skills to earn a seat at the table of major decision-makers in our society.
- Applicant must be entering the third or fourth year of a four-year undergraduate design communications program in Canada
- Applicant is a DesCan Student member in good standing. Become a DesCan Student member
Submission in one PDF that includes:
- One design project demonstrating problem-solving through communication design, in high-resolution PDF format, with supporting research.
- Project brief, objectives or assignment guidelines, and instructor contact information
- Description and rationale for the design project submitted (300 words maximum)
- Letter of recommendation from an educator/instructor
- Transcript of grades (unofficial records from the institution are acceptable)
- Personal statement outlining the reasons for applying and future career goals (300 words). Include your contact information including name, mailing address, phone, and email address
- List of all post-secondary educational programs attended and the total number of years of graphic/communication design education
Submission deadline May 1, 2023
To the Application Submission Form.