The Design Professionals of Canada Foundation and seven Manitoba design studios have come together to provide two annual scholarships, from the Manitoba Studio Fund, to support historically marginalized students, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, (BIPOC), who are pursuing a degree or certificate in the field of design and design communications. The Fund has distributed six scholarships so far — 2 per year in 2021, 2022, and 2023.
The Manitoba Studio Fund was created by and for designers, to assist students from traditionally racialized and disenfranchised communities in the province.
Two scholarships of $2,000 each are to be awarded: one to a student at the University of Manitoba, and one to a student at Red River College. Successful applicants will have applied in proper form to the Design Professionals of Canada. The awards will be applied directly to the students’ tuitions.
Scholarship recipients may also receive a paid work placement, or internship, at a studio or agency so that they can benefit from the first-hand experience and opportunities that come with being an integral part of a design practice.
- This scholarship is available to Manitoba-based Black, Indigenous, or BIPOC (Person of Colour) graphic design, UX/UI, and digital media design students. An applicant must be either a citizen of Canada or a Permanent Resident.
- The scholarship is exclusive to Manitoba and the students must attend a full-time graphic/communication design program at the University of Manitoba or Red River College.
- The applicant is returning in the fall to continue full-time studies, pursuing a design program.
- The applicant must be a DesCan member in good standing. Become a DesCan member.
- The applicant has not previously been awarded this scholarship
Submission in one PDF and must include:
- Current college/university transcript (unofficial transcripts accepted)
- Personal letter outlining reasons for applying and future career goals (200 words minimum). Include your contact information (name, mailing address, phone, and email address)
- Letter of recommendation from an educator/instructor
- Portfolio of three samples of recent design projects including necessary context and information
Submission deadline May 1, 2024.
To the Application Submission Form.